Cupcaitering

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins and a Couple of Life Goals

Oh Joy....Joy the Baker I mean. On February 28th she released her amazing 100 recipe cook book. And on February 29th, I took a leap (get it???) and decided that I would make all the things. Originally I had no real time frame associated with this goal, but I guess I'm feeling pretty damn ambitious because I decided that I'd have this done by the time I return to school in the fall.


So now, lets talk about these muffins. This recipe was one of the first things to really grab my attention so I decided they would be the first thing that I would make on this baking challenge. Brown butter has the ability to make vegetables taste like candy, so the incorporation of brown butter in baked goods can only be a good thing and in the case of these muffins it's a pretty fantastic thing and I'd highly recommend you make these a part of your life.


My other life goal is really only slightly related to baking and probably has more to do with some pretty deep seated and highly repressed self loathing, but I've signed myself up for is the Esprit Ironman distance triathlon in Montreal on September 8th....the only real connection between this and the baking challenge is that it will hopefully help to keep me not obese in the process of trying baking 100 different recipes in about 6 months. Plus perhaps this baking challenge will mean I'm not constantly hungry in the months leading up to the race?


One down....99 more to go!

Taken from "Joy the Baker Cookbook"....obviously.

Ingredients:

For the Muffins:
7 Tbs unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups of fresh blueberries

For the topping:
3 Tbs butter - cold
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbs sugar

Instructions:
1) preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a muffin pan.

2) Brown your butter - remove from heat when butter solids become a medium brown colour and smells nutty. Pour butter into a small bowl to allow it to cool slightly.

3) Whisk milk, egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add the butter and whisk until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add the milk mixture and fold in the blueberries. Your batter should be really thick, this is ok. Divide the batter between 12 muffins cups.

4) To make the topping, combine all of the ingredients and rub together with your hands until crumbly. Sprinkle batter evenly over the muffin batter.

5) Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm so jealous you have this cookbook. Though I guess I won't need it since you'll be sharing all of the recipes here!

    ReplyDelete