After eating just a small portion (cough cough half of it in about 10 minutes) of my chocolate orange I decided that I needed to make chocolate orange everything.
I'm not totally sold on this though....the orange flavour didn't come out quite as much as I would have liked and the glaze was just too sweet...but both are fixable problems and they still looked really cute. I also suppose if you don't have high expectations for them they're OK.
Doughnuts (slightly adapted from My Baking Addiction)
½ cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 orange
1¼ cups pastry flour, sifted
1¼ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
½ cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1½ tbsp. butter, melted
½ teaspoon of vanilla
Glaze* (slightly adapted from Joy the Baker)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.
* I had a lot of excess glaze and would suggest halving this recipe
Directions for the doughnuts:
1) Grease a mini-doughnut pan and preheat oven to 425
2) Combine orange zest and sugar until the sugar is moist and fragrant, then set aside.
3) Whisk together dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk, butter and vanilla and mix together until well combined.
4) Place batter in a piping bag and fill each doughnut cup about halfway. Bake for 4-6 minutes - mine took 5.
Directions for the glaze:
1) Combine the ingredients and whisk together well.
2) Once doughnuts are completely cool dip them in glaze, about half-way and leave to cool on a drying rack until the glaze has hardened.