Cupcaitering

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

the rose, oxford: review #3

When I began my search for tea houses in Oxford the Rose kept showing up near the top.  Well, that and a fancy hotel, but we didn't have the time nor the budget for that.  Of course, we were too busy touristing as usual (I hope you're enjoying these picture heavy posts).




covered market


After reading reviews, I was hesitant to give my business to this place.  The Google reviews in particular had many comments about rude and unfriendly staff.  Service is very important to me.  Don't get me wrong, I like good food and that is a key part of going out but I am fairly competent in the kitchen, so when I do go out, it's all about the experience and a big part of that is service.



Despite the bad reviews, we decided to give it a try because the food-focused reviews were all fabulous.  One thing that held true was the deliciousness of the scones.  I think these were my favourite thus far on our mini-tour of UK tea shops.  They also gave you two small scones which was nice and made it easy for sharing.  Chad's friend Megan is currently doing her PhD at Oxford and came to meet up with us which was very fun!


I will say, our server was quite pleasant and the service was fast but the lady who seemed to be running the place did seem a bit off-putting and cranky.  Not enough to keep me from it if I were ever back in Oxford.  So try it out!

P.S. Also while in Oxford we went to the Bear, one of the oldest pubs in the UK dating back to 1242.  It was such a neat little cozy spot and the food was great.  The ceilings were really low and I took this funny picture of the boys.  Konstantin and Chad are both over 6 feet and had to crouch a little to get around.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun! And you got to see Megan! I'm pretty jealous. xoxo

    ReplyDelete