I decided it was time to try again. My friend Rob's birthday was last week so I brought mini-pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese icing. Delicious.
The cake was moist, and the icing was the perfect mix of chocolate-cream cheesy- sweetness. AND they didn't look that bad either.....I mean not great, but progress has been made.One thing I will say though, is that mini cupcakes requires a kind of patience I do not think I have, the constant turning of trays and filling of cups in the baking process was enough to drive me mad. But maybe I just need to be better at life. However, the mini-ness of them was totally worth it, if only it provides an extra excuse to eat more than one.
Pumpkin cupcakes - slightly adapted from Annie's Eats
For the cupcakes:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 large eggs
For the frosting:1 cup cream cheese
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature2½ cups (or to taste) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Sift together dry ingredients (except for the sugar) in a medium bowl and place aside.
3) Mix together the pumpkin, sugars, eggs and oil. Once well combined, add in the dry ingredients gradually.
4) Bake mini-cupcakes for about 20 minutes, rotating the tray half-way through.
For the frosting:
1) cream together the butter and cream cheese, gradually add the cocoa powder and icing sugar, and then decorate as you wish.