Cupcaitering

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes

I have a confession. The first time I attempted to ice a cupcake using a piping bag it was horrendous, really just the worst thing to happen to a top of a cupcake. Ever. Seriously, after trying with two cupcakes I gave up and reverted to just using a spatula and smearing the icing on top. Which, while not necessarily bad (and in my opinion is a totally under-rated decoration method), it just does not have that same....je ne sais quoi.


I decided it was time to try again. My friend Rob's birthday was last week so I brought mini-pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese icing. Delicious.

The cake was moist, and the icing was the perfect mix of chocolate-cream cheesy- sweetness. AND they didn't look that bad either.....I mean not great, but progress has been made.

One thing I will say though, is that mini cupcakes requires a kind of patience I do not think I have, the constant turning of trays and filling of cups in the baking process was enough to drive me mad. But maybe I just need to be better at life. However, the mini-ness of them was totally worth it, if only it provides an extra excuse to eat more than one.

Pumpkin cupcakes - slightly adapted from Annie's Eats

For the cupcakes:

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

¼ tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

2 cups pumpkin puree

1 cup sugar

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 cup canola or vegetable oil

4 large eggs


For the frosting:

1 cup cream cheese

5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature

2½ cups (or to taste) confectioners’ sugar, sifted

1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Sift together dry ingredients (except for the sugar) in a medium bowl and place aside.

3) Mix together the pumpkin, sugars, eggs and oil. Once well combined, add in the dry ingredients gradually.

4) Bake mini-cupcakes for about 20 minutes, rotating the tray half-way through.

For the frosting:

1) cream together the butter and cream cheese, gradually add the cocoa powder and icing sugar, and then decorate as you wish.


2 comments:

  1. Agreed - you know a cupcake is sitting there going "oh no...did they do the piping bag thing to me?..Why couldn't they just spatula smear me? This is so embarrassing"

    ReplyDelete