Cupcaitering

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

fennel black tea cupcakes

We've been having a mini heat wave here. I've been avoiding my oven for the last few days, but luckily, I had a good baking weekend and thus, lots to share!


Sometimes experiments in baking don't go exactly as planned.  Sometimes this is a very bad thing (errrmmm..."healthy zucchini muffin pucks" anyone?) and other times, they end in a surprisingly delicious treat.  Thankfully, this is one of the latter instances.  These cupcakes are so yummy!  Neither the tea or the fennel came out very distinctly, but they still had a lovely lightly sweet and fragrant taste. 


I took them to a friend's house and they were all gone within minutes of being offered up.  I wasn't sure how people would feel about fennel so only topped a few with fennel seeds, but the flavours popped more on those ones and the people that did have them enjoyed them.

Give them a try!  I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Fennel-Black Tea Cupcakes

for the cupcakes
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp finely crushed fennel seeds
3/4 cup strongly brewed black tea (I used orange pekoe)

for the frosting
1 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp crushed fennel seed
1/4 cup strongly brewed black tea

directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and fennel seeds and set aside.
2. Beat together butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs and beat until combined.
3. Add the dry ingredients and tea slowly, alternating between the two.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool.
5.  Make frosting by beating cream cheese and butter together, slowly adding icing sugar, fennel seed, vanilla and tea.  Frosting will be fairly runny.  You could also use licorice liquer to get more of the licorice flavour, but I didn't have any in the house.
6. Frost cupcakes and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I'll have to try making them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used your black tea frosting on some orange cardamom cupcakes I made - I switched the 1 tsp of fennel seeds to cardamom and topped them with candied orange pieces. They were delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete