Cupcaitering

Sunday, May 22, 2011

peanut butter apple donuts with peanut butter-honey frosting

These were inspired by one of my favourite snacks: toast with peanut butter, honey and apple slices.  The other day, as I was eating said snack, I thought to myself, "I really need to make this into a baked good".  I had decided a peanut butter blondie with apples baked on the top and drizzled with honey would be good (I might still make that) when my roomate commented that we hadn't had mini donuts in a long time. That's when these scrumptious babies were born. 


They do have apple in the batter, but are best served with a fresh slice of apple on top.  So yummy!


Baked Peanut Butter Apple Donuts with Peanut Butter-Honey Frosting

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 medium apples, peeled & shredded
1 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp honey

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray donut pans with baking spray and set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugars until smooth. Whisk in peanut butter, oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined and add the apples. Pipe the batter into pans but do not fill right to the top. Bake 8-10 minutes (for mini donut pan) until golden and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out dry.

For the frosting:
Using a fork or a small whisk, whisk together the peanut butter and honey.  I used a large round tip and piped it close to the surface of the donut.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely ate some of these at work, and OMG, delicious. I didn't have any fresh sliced apple on top, which is a good thing, since everyone is well aware of my fear of raw apples!

    ReplyDelete