Cupcaitering

Friday, May 20, 2011

carrot cake: variations on a theme - part 2

For the second installment in my carrot cake series I made the maple carrot cake from Food and Drink magazine.  It was for Easter dinner with my family and I was dissapointed to find out that my Mom and I are the only carrot cake fans and everyone else sucks (I love you family but you're missing out!).  Luckily my Mom  had made some brownies so they didn't miss out on dessert completely. 

Personally, I really enjoyed this carrot cake, although the maple flavour didn't come out as strongly as I would hope.  I always find maple frosting tricky because the maple syrup sweetens it so much that I never want to add much icing sugar and the texture can suffer.  Does anyone have solutions for this?  Maple extract just doesn't do it for me.  I wasn't able to get a shot of the inside of the cake because it was too dark in our dining room.


Maple Carrot Cake with Maple Butter Icing
Food and Drink Magazine, Spring 2011

Ingredients
4 cups (1 L) grated carrots
2½ cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
1 cup (250 mL) butter, at room temperature
1 cup (250 mL) golden brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
¾ cup (175 mL) maple syrup
½ cup (125 mL) milk

MAPLE BUTTER ICING
1½ cups (375 mL) butter, at room temperature
¾ cup (175 mL) maple syrup
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
3 to 3½ cups (750 to 875 mL) sifted icing sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray or lightly oil two 9-inch (1.5-L) round cake pans.
2. Grate and measure out 4 cups (1 L) and set aside. Place flour in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to blend.
3. Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar. Reduce speed to low and beat in eggs, then vanilla. It may look curdled. Then beating on low, gradually add about a third of flour mixture. Beat just until mixed, followed by the maple syrup. Beat in half the remaining flour followed by the milk, then end with the flour. Stir in carrots.
4. Divide batter between pans. Spread evenly to sides of pan. Bake until centres seem set when lightly tapped, from 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
5. To make icing, place butter in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Beating on low, gradually pour in about ¼ cup maple syrup. Add vanilla. Then add about ½ cup icing sugar. Repeat process twice. 
6. Assemble and ice. Best to refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.

3 comments:

  1. I know we eat just a little to late for good lighting in the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, next time you make carrot cake for your family, pretend that I am your family and drop off the whole cake at my place and Rob and I will give it a good home!

    ReplyDelete