Cupcaitering

Sunday, April 17, 2011

variations on a theme: brownies - round 1

Oh boy, it's been a while.  I've been quite the busy lady lately, and despite having stuff to share, I haven't been finding the time to sit down and actually get blog posts together.  I made these brownies a while ago for an office pot luck.  When I saw them on Always with Butter, I knew I had to make them.  They combine two of my greatest loves in life, chocolate and cheese.  Could it get any better?


The recipe (without the goat cheese layer) also works as a super easy one bowl brownie.  I may even adopt it as my new brownie.  They were definitely a major improvement on this one bowl brownie.  I did use a bit of applesauce in place of a full 1/2 cup of oil and found that they were still delicious and rich.  Makes them a teensy bit less guilt-inducing.  I will say, I tried this tool for the first time, and it didn't exactly paint a pretty picture.  Maybe it's just best to blindly eat these and not worry about nit-picky things like fat content or calories, amirite?

Next time, I'll use a slightly bigger pan.  I found the cooking time to be off for an 8x8 pan and I like my brownies thinner anyways.  They were definitely rich, gooey and delicious.  So yummy warm!  If  you love chocolate and goat cheese, I don't see any way you could not like LOVE these!

Chocolate Chevre Brownies
adapted from always with butter

Brownies
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tbsp water
1 cup chocolate chunks

Chevre Layer
6 oz chevre, room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 egg

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease (or line with parchment) a 9 x 9 pan.
2. Whisk together the oil, eggs and water.
3. Add cocoa, sugars, flour, salt, and chocolate chunks.  Set aside.
4. Whisk together all the ingredients for the chevre layer.
5.  Pour half the brownie batter into a pan.  Put the chevre layer on and cover with the remaining brownie mixture.
6. Bake until the centre is set and a toothpick comes out almost clean.  Mine took almost 45 minutes and still wasn't totally cooked in the centre. Cool a bit (let's be honest, who can wait) and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I might have to make these, right now. So delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decadent. I just made them, and ate the first one. I just tried the recipe as a one bowl brownie - so good! I will blog and link you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete