Cupcaitering

Friday, April 29, 2011

healthy(er) muffins

I'm so excited about these muffins (or I was excited...three weeks ago when I made them. Yep, that's how far behind I am).  They are so moist and yummy, and I don't have to feel that guilty about eating them.  Muffins are one of those foods that are super guilt-inducing for me.  Have you noticed they've never once been featured on this lil ol' blog o' mine (I retract that - I forgot about the flip-flopping muffins, but they barely count) .  I think it comes from the fact that they manage to get away with a pseudo-healthy persona when they're really just cake without icing.  So, I never eat them, I just eat cupcakes instead.  Until now!
 

These are a great treat with a cup of tea in the afternoon. nom nom nom  I'm going to try making them even healthier next time, but for now, here is the recipe.



Raisin Wheat Germ Muffins
Adapted from Guilty Kitchen

Yield: 16 small muffins

1 cup wheat germ
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tbsp fat free plain yogurt
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
2. Mix wheat germ, flax and buttermilk in a large bowl and set aside for five minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg with the oil, applesauce, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Add to the wheat germ mixture.
4. In another separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gently stir into wet, but do not mix completely.
5. Fold raisins into mixture and be careful not to over mix. Lumps are a-okay.
6. Pour evenly into tins and bake 12-15 minutes (mine took 12 exactly, be careful not to overbake to avoid dry muffins).

1 comment:

  1. Enough with the "health food" Caitlin! We want sugar! Sweet sweet sugar! lol

    ReplyDelete