Cupcaitering

Monday, March 7, 2011

coconut peanut butter cups

These are what happens when a peanut butter cup and a macaroon have babies.  Tasty, tasty babies.  What many of you don't know is that I have been on a "sweets ban" for the last two weeks.  I was getting a bit out of control and felt like I needed to break my addiction.  I've been pretty good except for a few tiny slip ups, and overall, I feel really good about it.  I decided to keep it up for a month, but allow myself a treat on Sundays.

So, my big decision for the week was what to splurge on.  What to bake?  So many options!  After two weeks with no sweets, chocolate was on my mind...so was peanut butter.  I went to my "recipes to try" folder and decided that this coconut tart looked good but I wanted to do better.  I'd been wanting to try my hand at home made peanut butter cups, so why not combine the two?  The results...delicious, indulgent, and the perfect end to the first two weeks.  Now I have all week to decide what to make next. Any suggestions?



Coconut Peanut Butter Cups
adapted from here and here

For the coconut crust
7oz sweetened shredded coconut
1 egg white

1. In a 350 F oven, toast coconut for 8-10 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Fluff every few minutes to prevent burning.  Allow to cool.
2. Pulse coconut in a food processor to get fine crumbs.  Mix with egg white.
3.  With wet hands, press into greased muffin tins.  (I used mini ones)
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.  Allow to cool for one minute then turn out to cool on a wire rack.


For the peanut butter filling
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup icing sugar

Mix together all ingredients in a bowl until a consistent texture.  I put the dry ingredients in the bowl first then put the peanut butter in, to prevent it getting to sticky.

Assembly
1. Put the peanut butter filling in each coconut shell.
2. Melt chocolate in a double boiler.  Spoon a small amount on top of each cup and smooth the top.
3. Cool in fridge until the chocolate firms.

3 comments:

  1. These look so delish! And simple! I am definitely going to make an attempt :)

    ReplyDelete