Cupcaitering

Sunday, February 27, 2011

lemon cranberry loaf

I saw this loaf on technicolor kitchen while I was in the midst of planning the menu for the tea party.  At the coffee/bike shop that I work at part-time, the woman tthat does the baking makes the most amazing lemon poppy seed loaf.  My combined need for more lemon loaf in my life and the pops of red with the cranberries made me instantly attracted to this recipe and I decided to give it a go.  I altered the recipe a bit, doing half milk and half sour cream.  It was quite yummy, but didn't seem to popular at the party.  I suppose people are more attracted to the decadent goods at these types of events.


Either way, I will definitely keep this in mind as a quick and yummy snack to whip up for tea!

Cranberry Lemon Loaf


Loaf:
2/3 cup (150g) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups (300g) caster (superfine) sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
4 eggs
¼ teaspoon vanilla
3 cups (420g) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 cup (240ml) milk
1 1/2 cups (220g) dried cranberries

Glaze:
½ cup (70g) icing sugar, sifted
½ cup (60ml) lemon juice

Directions1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice, zest, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
4. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the egg mixture, beating until just combined.
5. Fold in the cranberries and pour into prepared pans.
6.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
7. Make the glaze: in a small bowl combine the sugar and the lemon juice. Pour over the hot loaves and allow to cool completely before carefully removing from pans. Wrap tightly to store.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since your Mom has fallen on hard times in terms of her bakery choices and has also chosen to dislike Lemon treats I rarely get my share of Leeemmmmooonnn! What if you were to visit your family home in March and bring a Lemon treat... good idea I think so! I would trade Pounds from Lemon Pound Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it! if I hadn't been wrangling a baby I would have eaten more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cranberry lemon is so divine ! thanks for sharing
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete