Cupcaitering

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

cherry almond tea cookies

Now on Sweets for Saturday over at Sweet as Sugar!

As promised, here is the first of the recipes to come from my valentine's day tea, but first, something a little different.  I took today off work as it is my birthday, and I'm hanging out with my friend Margot who came to visit from Peterborough - she was updating her blog and I felt guilty for still not posting any valentine's recipes.  Last night we had an amazing meal cooked by my roomate Kate and her boy, Will.  For dessert we had chocolate pasta with ice cream, strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate sauce.  The picture is not great because it was too dark in the dining room.  I'd normally make myself a birthday cake, but just didn't have the time this year.  I was happy to have something different and the chocolate pasta was soo yummy!

 
These cookies popped out at me as something a bit different when I first made them a year ago.  When I was planning my tea party menu, I knew I had to make them because of their lovely pink and red colouring, and delicious light, crisp taste.  If you're a fan of the cherry almond flavour combination, these cookies are a winner!  

 Cherry Almond Tea Cookies
adapted from the Cooking Photographer
 
Ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
½ teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoon maraschino cherry liquid
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour 
¼ cup ground almonds
½ cup drained maraschino cherries, chopped well
½ cup roasted slivered almonds


Directions
1. With an electric mixer beat together the sugar, butter, salt, maraschino cherry liquid, and almond extract. Once combined, add the flour and ground almonds and mix until just incorporated. Add the chopped maraschino cherries and almonds and mix together. Roll the dough into two logs and refrigerate for two hours.
2. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and set on the counter for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3. Cut the log into 1/4 inch thick cookies. Place on cookie sheets and bake one sheet at a time for 9 to 11 minutes or until very lightly brown on the bottom. Let rest on the cookie sheets for a few minutes and move to a cooling rack. Once cool, store in an airtight container to cure overnight before serving.

2 comments:

  1. What dainty little cookies. They sound super good with all that cherry flavor and that pink color is just lovely. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called Sweets for a Saturday and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http:/sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look so so lovely! thanks for sharing, love the hue! glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete