Cupcaitering

Sunday, January 23, 2011

brown butter blondies

I made these twice this weekend.  Yep...twice.  I made big pans of it too.  Will, my best friend's boyfriend and my boyfriend's best friend (bfbf), said that I should only ever make these from now on.  While on the phone with Kate last night, he also said, "If I could go outside and slap the first person I came across, and that would mean that I could go back in and have a plate of those waiting, I'd do it".  It's ok, you can judge him for these over the top statements.


If you hadn't gathered by now, these are amazing.  They are gooey, rich and delicious.  I doubled the recipe the second time.  The first time they were a bit thin in my 9x13 pan.  If you're making the recipe as written below, I'd make it in an 8x8, or maybe something in between for a bit thinner blondie.  They were a teensy bit greasy so next time I think I might add a bit more flour, but I was woried about losing the chewiness factor.  Maybe a 1/4 cup.  I am keeping the recipe as it was originally written below. 


The moral of this story is that brown butter makes everything delicous.

Brown Butter Blondies

Ingredients

200g unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
Optional: add ins like chocolate chips, nuts, coconut etc.

Directions
1. Heat butter over medium heat until it turns a golden colour and small dark flecks start to form.  For more info on how to brown butter - read this.
2. Add butter and sugar to the bowl of a mixer and mix until it cools a bit.
3. Next, add the egg and vanilla.
4.  Add the dry ingredients all at once and stir until combined. 
5.  Mix in your extras, but make sure it is cool enough.  The first time round, my chocolate chips melted quite a bit and my blondies looked like brownies.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment