Cupcaitering

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

goat cheese and sundried tomato scones

I've been sick with a cold and haven't been able to do nearly as much baking as I had planned for the last week.  Instead I've been watching hours of Mad Men and sneezing on my poor cat. Before I was sick I had an order for savoury scones and was given creative discretion to come up with a tasty combo.


This was my first time ever making savoury scones so I played it safe.  Perhaps too safe, but the results were still delicious.  I used a herb goat cheese which added flavour.  If not using it, I would add some spices to the mix.


Goat Cheese and Sundried Tomato Scones


2 cups flour

3 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup crumbled herb goat cheese
1/2 cup sundried tomato, chopped into small bits
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Crumble goat cheese onto a baking sheet and place in freezer to harden.
2.  Combine flour, baking powder, grated parmesean and salt in a bowl (add spices here if using).  Cut in cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add tomato and goat cheese (directly from freezer). 
3. Add buttermilk and stir until just combine (still a bit crumbly). 
4.  Turn out onto a floured surface and make two discs.  Cut each disc into 6 scones.
5.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment