Cupcaitering

Saturday, December 25, 2010

cookie decorating party

I mentioned before that I was planning to host a cookie decorating party in December and have posted some of the treats we ate while decorating.  It was last Sunday and for those who attended, it was a great success.  I made three different cookies: gingerbread, sugar cookies and chocolate roll out cookies.  I used Dorie's sugar cookie recipe which I've posted before.  I can't remember where I got the gingerbread recipe which is disappointing because it was good and I definitely lost the scrap of paper that I wrote it on.  I also used a new royal icing recipe which turned out much better than last time.  I went super simple and used the Joy of Baking meringue powder recipe.  It was easier to work with and the taste was less tangy than my first attempt.


 I always say I hate roll-out cookies because they're so much work, but when you leave the decorating step to other people they're not so bad.  It also gives me an excuse to use my insane quantities of cookie cutters.  When you're a baker, everyone loves to give you cookie cutters, but then you end up with so many that you don't know what to do with them!

heather's ugly christmas sweater
This is a picture heavy post because I wanted to showcase everyone's creations.  Some arguably better than others.





Rob picked out this penguin with a hat...THAT I HAD SPECIFICALLY SAID WAS MINE!  haha  There was a scrap of dough from a skate and I had planned on making a dapper little penguin, but somebody beat me to it *ahem* and the results were far from dapper.


John made a dinosaur out of a sleigh and Justin made a knight to fight him and save the princess.


There were many more fabulous creations but I don't want this to be too long.  Hope everyone who is celebrating Christmas is having a wonderful day with their families!

2 comments: