Cupcaitering

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

world peace cookies

This week I was tasked with providing a treat for an informal presentation that our group is doing at work. We all know that bribing people with food in the workplace is a good way to make friends, so it was obvious that we needed to do it.   

I wanted to do something fairly simple because I have quite a busy week.  I also recently bought Dorie Greenspan’s book, Baking: from my home to yours (love!).  I wanted to try something out and have eaten these cookies before.  What better cookie to try than one that brings peace for our friendship making presentation?  Kind of like this guy…


Personally, I think solving the issues of a world with this cookie is a bit lofty.  I liked it, but it's definitely not my favourite cookie.  I do hope everyone else enjoys it though.  

Now, to the recipe!

 
World Peace Cookies
Recipe hosted by Bon Appetit

Ingredients 
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
11 tablespoons (1 stick plus 3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
5 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate (do not exceed 85% cacao), chopped (no pieces bigger than 1/3 inch)

Directions
1.        Sift flour, cocoa, and baking soda into medium bowl.
2.        Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth but not fluffy.
3.        Add both sugars, vanilla, and sea salt; beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4.        Add flour mixture; beat just until blended (mixture may be crumbly).
5.        Add chopped chocolate; mix just to distribute (if dough doesn't come together, knead lightly in bowl to form ball). Divide dough in half. Place each half on sheet of plastic wrap. Form each into 1 1/2-inch-diameter log. Wrap each in plastic; chill until firm, about 3 hours.
6.        Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a thin sharp knife, cut logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Space 1 inch apart on prepared sheets. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies appear dry (cookies will not be firm or golden at edges), 11 to 12 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool.

2 comments:

  1. I do love these cookies, but I love that alien guy more. And I love, love the new look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I read your blog!? It always makes me so hungry! lol Love it.

    ReplyDelete