Cupcaitering

Friday, November 26, 2010

royal icing trials and tribulations

I’ve been a bad blogger this week. It hasn’t been because I’m not participating in baking activities. I totally was…I just didn’t have time to write about it. So, I’ll try to make up for it this weekend and next week.



First up is some photos from last Sunday. I hung out with my good friend and we decorated sugar cookies. I had never done royal icing cookies before and wanted to try it out in preparation for a cookie decorating drop-in party I’m hosting in December. It was definitely a good call to do a practice run, and I might try to do one more before the big day. I struggled to get the consistency just right going back and forth between too runny and too stiff. I was also trying to avoid doing an outline first, but I think I will try that out for the party.


We used some leftover dough I had frozen from before. It was dyed blue for some blue cookie cupcake toppers. The results of the day were ok. Marbling is definitely a good effect for making easy and pretty designs. I think the biggest thing I need to get down is the consistency…and maybe try focussing on one baking adventure at a time (I was in the middle of baking/decorating a cake while trying to get the icing and cookies ready).

Hopefully I can impress with some cooler cookies in the near future. Does anyone have any royal icing tips and tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment