Cupcaitering

Saturday, November 13, 2010

nutty oatmeal chocolate fudge chip cookies

The title of this cookie is long.  It makes the cookie feel important.  Just like people with long job titles.


Doesn't this photo look good.  It makes me happy.  The day it was taken was a holiday for us, and so I got to be at home and take this picture at the prime lighting time for taking photos.

Remember when I made these...



After letting them sit in my freezer, I finally got around to making something with them.  I always thought they'd be great in a cookie.  Especially a cookie with delicious nutty flavour.  BUT, I didn't want to do peanut butter.  It's so predictable.  Yes, it is amazingly delicious and ALWAYS a winning combo, but it is just such a cop out.

I decided to go with an almond butter cookie instead, and am I ever glad that I did.  The cookie was chewy and not overly sweet.  The fudge chips worked out really well too.  I was slightly worried they'd melt out and go everywhere but they stayed together and made for a 100% chewy cookie.  The addition of a bit of oatmeal also adds a nice texture to the cookie.  I was very pleased with the results, maybe a bit too excited...I'm in a good mood, I got the day off!


Nutty Oatmeal Chocolate Fudge Chip Cookies
adapted from The Novice Chef

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup natural almond butter (I used a tbsp or two of PB as well - hence the nutty)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup chocolate fudge chips - directions here (or you could just use chocolate chips)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Cream together butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract on medium speed.  4. Add the egg and beat to combine. Reduce the speed to lowand gradually add in the flour, mixing until combined.  Stir in the oats and the chocolate fudge chips.
5. Refrigerate dough (original recipe said overnight, but I threw mine in the freezer for about 30 minutes and used it right out of the freezer - my cookies were DELICIOUS - just saying).
6. Scoop the dough onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.  Let cool for a few minutes on baking sheet before removing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment