Yesterday was Jim's birthday and I wasn't feeling in the mood to make a big fancy cake. Plus, we were keeping the celebrations low-key this year. Always a fan of cheesecake and kit kats, I knew he would enjoy this combo. Cheesecakes are one of my go-to cakes for creating something with a rich flavour that impresses people with minimal effort.
I used my standard cheesecake recipe which was adapted from this recipe with a different crust, made in a 7inch springform pan with a baby crustless cheesecake as well.
Kit Kat Cheesecake
For the crust:
1 1/4 cups crushed oreos
1/8 cup butter, melted
2 tbsp sugar
For the cake:
2 8oz. packages cream cheese
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 tbsp vanilla
2 chopped kit kat bars
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Crush the oreos and combine with melted butter and sugar. Press into 7-inch springform pan and bake for 10 minutes.
2. While that is baking, combine the cream cheese and sugar in a mixer and whip until creamy and smooth.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl in between.
4. Add the heavy cream and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
5. Fold in the chopped kit kat bars.
6. Wrap pan in tinfoil to ensure there are no leaks, and place in a larger pan with pre-boiled water. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, until set but still slightly jiggly. Turn off the oven and leave to cool in there for 1 hour. Remove from oven and chill before serving. Decorate with kit kat bars as you see fit.