Cupcaitering

Friday, November 12, 2010

boston cream pie cupcakes

My lovely parents came to visit me this past weekend and seeing as my Dad just celebrated his birthday on Halloween, I decided to make him his favourite treat.  My Dad loves boston cream pie!  He actually gave me the idea by sending me a blog post about it.

I was already making a vanilla cake and a chocolate cake for someone else, so I just used a bit of extra batter and frosting I had to make the cupcakes and used the icing to frost them at the end.  Traditionally, a ganache is used with this cake, so I am going to include a recipe for that below.

I made the custard from an old custard recipe I had.  I made 1/3rd of this recipe, but was not totally exact in my measurements.  It was still delicious.  I tried to get a shot of the inside but the colours of the custard and the cake were too similar.  These were super easy and impressive!



Bostom Cream Pie Cupcakes

1 batch of your favourite vanilla cupcakes - Cut out centre, fill with custard.  Put top back on and pipe on ganache.


Easy and Delicious Custard
from Almost Bourdain

3 egg yolks
1/4 cup caster (superfine) sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
3/4 cup cream

1/2 cup water

Directions
Place the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and vanilla into a pot and whisk until smooth (no heat!). Add the cream and water and whisk again. Place over medium heat. Stir until the mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.

Chocolate Ganache

10 oz good quality bittersweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream


Directions
Place chopped chocolate into a heat proof bowl.  Heat the heavy cream until boiling and pour over chocolate.  Let sit for a few minutes and then whisk until all melted.  Allow to cool before using.

1 comment:

  1. Now I have had a number of full size Boston Cream Pies in my days as well as a few Tim Horton Boston Cream Donuts so I have the reference to say that these were fantastic. A birthday I will remember for a long time.

    ReplyDelete