Cupcaitering

Friday, October 29, 2010

talent

Today there was a talent show at work to raise money for charity.  My talent...clearly baking.  I didn't participate in the talent portion of the show, though I did provide the dessert for people sitting in the VIP section.  I caught a bit of the show, and looked to see if my talent was going over well (I think so...?).


I made a trio of cupcakes.  I decided to go with a bit of a fall theme, making: pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and a caramel drizzle, apple-oat cupcakes with a cinnamon honey buttercream and a chocolate toffee pretzel cupcake (because apparently I love this combo and every good dessert has some sort of chocolate element).

Since I've featured both the pumpkin cake recipe and the chocolate toffee pretzel cake, I will share with you the apple-oat cupcake. I've seen the buttercream on a few blogs and am not 100% sure on the origin but it is  below as well.


Apple-Oat Cupcakes with Honey-Cinnamon Buttercream
From an Edible Mosaic

Cupcakes
1/3 c rolled oats
1 c water, divided
1 c brown sugar
1/3 c canola oil
3 large eggs
3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Buttercream
2 large egg whites
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c honey
Pinch salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces

1.  Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tray with paper liners.
2. In a small saucepan, combine oats with 2/3 c water and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low to low heat, stirring occasionally; set aside to cool.
3.In a large bowl, combine 1/3 c water, brown sugar, canola oil, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla; stir in the oatmeal.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, adding a little at a time until fully incorporated, being careful not to overmix.
5. Put into muffin tray and bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a couple crumbs.

Buttercream
1. In a double boiler, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and honey.  Heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is warm (about 140F), whisking frequently (about 3-5 minutes).
2. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Add the salt and cinnamon and beat on high speed until the mixture is thick and glossy (about 5-7 minutes).
3. Gradually add the butter piece by piece while beating; stop beating when the buttercream is thick and smooth.

* I piped mine in stars because I felt that a big swirl would be too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment