Cupcaitering

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

flip flopping

I’m worse than a politician when it comes to these muffins. I made them the other night and from the minute I saw the batter, I was uncertain. I baked them anyways, and decided they were no good. But then, I took one for my afternoon snack and decided they weren’t so bad. Again today, I had one, and questioned my assumptions. Maybe they’re not the best muffins I’ve ever had, but my friend Aimee reminded me that the failures are interesting to hear about too and that maybe they could be made blog worthy, it’s all about the way you spin it.

I definitely think these muffins could be improved, but I really did like the ginger flavour. I made a few chocolate chip ones which were less than sensational so next time I would stick to the ginger, walnut variety. Overall, they needed a bit more flavour in the actual muffin part, so I would add a bit more sugar and spices (namely cinnamon) next time. I would also increase the amount of pumpkin and possibly the oil a smidge.

Here’s the recipe as it stands with my suggested changes in brackets (although I can’t say that this would work for sure – I definitely think I am onto something).

Pumpkin Ginger Walnut Muffins
adapted from 500 Cupcakes

Ingredients
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (1/2 cup)
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
(1 tsp ground cinnamon)
1 lightly beaten egg
½ cup puréed pumpkin (3/4 cup)
¾ cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup sunflower oil (1/2 cup)
3 tbsp chopped candied ginger
4 tbsp walnut pieces

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

In your mixer, beat the egg, pumpkin, milk and oil until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until nearly combined. Fold in the candied ginger and walnut pieces.

Bake for 15-20 minutes and remove pan from oven to cool.

Store in an airtight container. Makes 1 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. You know with the Ginger they would not be something your Mom would bake. She is not a fan of Ginger... neither for that matter is Billy Connolly. PapaChuck

    ReplyDelete