Cupcaitering

Friday, October 8, 2010

cranberry curd

This was my first time trying my hand at curd. It always appealed to me in photos of other’s creations (I've never actually tried it before) and I decided that I really needed to make it. What better opportunity than a tea party where scones would be served?


I had decided that cranberry curd would go well with pumpkin and when I looked on tastespotting, I didn’t see any recipes. After I had already adapted a berry curd recipe, I had the genius idea to google it and of course there are plenty of cranberry curd recipes out there.

I was still quite happy with the way my curd turned out (I think it's right), although perhaps I would use slightly less orange zest next time. The orange flavour overpowered the cranberry a bit for my liking.



Cranberry Curd
adapted from this recipe
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cranberries
4 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 tsp orange zest (this is adjusted from what I used)
3 Tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter (cut into 1/2” chunks)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar (you could use slightly more, but I liked the tartness)

Directions
1. Combine the cranberries and 2 tbsp of sugar in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until berries start to disintegrate and set aside.

2. Put the egg yolks, whole egg, orange juice, orange zest, 1/2 cup of sugar and a 1/4 cup of cooked cranberries in a double boiler. Cook whisking the entire time until thick.

3. Remove egg mixture and pour into saucepan with berry mixture. Whisk until completely blended. Add butter and whisk until incorporated.

4. Process until smooth in food processor. Chill in the refrigerator before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment