Cupcaitering

Sunday, October 17, 2010

cake decorating I

This Saturday, I had the exciting opportunity to take Cake Decorating I at Artistic Cake Design.  The instructor and head decorator, Amanda, told us that this round of classes filled up in less than four hours, so I was quite happy to have a spot.

I have obviously been decorating cakes for a little while now (out of a need to attempt to make what I bake look pretty) but had never taken any training.  Amanda's wealth of knowledge meant that I learned an extraordinary amount in such a short time yesterday.

We started the class making character cakes (on practice sheets).  This is something I had never done before and it was a lot easier and faster than I had imagined.  I will definitely be exploring this option in the future.

We then moved on to making roses which were a huge challenge to get the hang of.  I struggled quite a bit but everytime we took a break from it (for lunch and to learn other stuff), I felt that I came back refreshed and did better.  By the end of the day, I was starting to get pretty nice roses.

By the end of class, everyone had to decorate a cake using the techniques we had learned.  I was very pleased with my results and got a major ego boost when Amanda asked me if I was looking for a part-time job.  I wish that it worked into my schedule!  If you live in Ottawa and have any interest in cake decorating, these courses are a must!  I can't express how much I enjoyed it and can't thank them enough for everything I learned.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment