Cupcaitering

Thursday, October 14, 2010

biscotti bite 2.0

So, I went from posts everyday to radio silence.  I have a some things planned for the next few days, so hopefully I will be back to my regularly scheduled programming.

This biscotti is another of my promises for afternoon snacks.  I'm very late on this one, she's been out of biscotti for quite some time!  The recipe is a combination of ideas from three sources.

1. Request for blueberry white chocolate biscotti
2. Melissa's blueberry corn tartlets
and 3. momfuku milk bar's corn cookie (so yummy!)

Heather and Todd's request got me thinking about blueberry but what I thought is that it was a bit boring.  Maybe it's because I'm not a particularly huge blueberry or white chocolate fan.  I do love corn though...some may even call me a cornivore (KJ).  When I saw Melissa's blueberry corn tartlets I wanted to incorporate that idea into the biscotti.  Finally, I got to go to NY this weekend thanks to my lovely parents and their 30th Wedding Anniversary (yay Mom and Dad - and thanks for an awesome trip!), and while there I went to momofuku.  I got the corn cookie and ended up eating it on the plane while waiting on the tarmac for an hour and a half Monday night.  It was so yummy...and I am going to try to re-create it.  We'll see how that goes...

I looked for a good biscotti recipe that incorporated corn and decided on this one with some adjustments.  Lynne had some amazing tips on how to make the biscotti cut well and look nice.  I was really happy with the results in terms of looks.  I also loved the texture of these biscotti.  They managed to be crunchy while still not feeling like they were underdone.  Most biscotti aren't that great unless they're dipped in a hot drink (imho) but these were awesome as is (also - with or without the glaze - I just incorporated to please the "client").

Here's what I came up with:

Corn Almond Blueberry Biscotti with White Chocolate Glaze

Ingredients
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
5/8 cup corn flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 - 3/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup dried blueberries
 
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In your mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla until creamy.
2. Combine the flours, corn starch and cornmeal.  Lower the mixer speed and add the mixture until incorporated. Stir in dried blueberries and almonds. Transfer the dough to baking sheet and shape into a log (or two logs). Smooth the top of the dough with a wet dough scraper (this is from Lynne - works brilliantly!).
3. Bake for 25 minutes. Once removed from oven let cool for about 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, spray with water and let stand an additional 5 minutes (another Lynne tip - this will soften the crust to make slicing easier).
4. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Cut the biscotti into slices and set upright on the baking sheet 1/2 inch apart so the air can circulate. Bake for an additional 25 minutes.

Extra
I then mixed together some white chocolate and milk in a double boiler and then dipped the biscotti in but this unecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment