Cupcaitering

Friday, October 22, 2010

baked apple donuts: variations on a theme

While in NYC with my family, we stopped in at Sur leTable. This was my first time in the store, and well…I shouldn’t really be allowed in stores like that. I ended up walking out with things ranging from the ever so useful re-usable icing bag to the completely useless but oh so cute cat-shaped creamer. One thing I walked out with pretty excited to try was my mini-donut pan. I’ve seen quite a few bloggers rocking the mini donuts lately, and had to get in on the action myself. Let me just say right now, I am both extremely happy and very worried that I did.


These little donuts were AH-MAZE-ING. So amazing that my roommate and I each had easily a dozen and then joked about taking the day off work to eat more donuts.

This is how we imagined the phone call to work might go:

“Uh, hi boss, I can’t make it in today, I ate too many donuts”
“Oh no, you should take a tums or something”
“Yeah…I think I’m just going to have more donuts”

I did two variations on the donut. I got the first from this blog. For the second variation I went with the same donut base and added a maple glaze and bacon bits. Both were equally delicious. The bacon one tasted like breakfast. They are dangerous dangerous little things and I will definitely not be making them very often.

Baked Apple Donuts with Caramel Glaze (and Maple Glaze)
from shutterbean

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 medium apples, peeled & shredded
1 1/2 cup chewy caramel candies
1 tablespoon whole milk (I'd try 2 to make the caramel thinner)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray donut pans with baking spray and set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugars until smooth. Whisk in oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined and add the apples. Pipe the batter into pans but do not fill right to the top. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out dry.
For the caramel:
In a small, microwaveable bowl, combine the caramel and milk. Microwave on medium power checking and stirring often until melted and smooth.

For the maple glaze:
 I combined about 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 tablespoon icing sugar and a tsp of milk.  It was quite thin, but I had tried more icing sugar earlier and thought it was really gross and didn't have enough maple flavour.  I then sprinkled with bacon bits I had made earlier - crushing up some crispy bacon that I cooked.

3 comments:

  1. Um, I think you'll be making these a lot more than you think! Especially now that you're offering to bake for the cost of ingredients to your blog followers such as myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great another way to use the left over bacon.

    ReplyDelete