Cupcaitering

Thursday, September 30, 2010

pumpkin cake

This post is a little sad.  It doesn't have a picture.  Or at least, a picture of the actual cake in question but I can assure you, the cake looked just like this one.  Maybe even a bit nicer.


As for the inside, well, you'll just have to use your imagination.  You know, your imagination, that thing that you lost when you had to start pretending to be an adult.

This cake is the result of all the planets aligning in a perfect mix of timing and ingredients. That is, if planetary alignment leads to deliciousness.


I had volunteered to make a cake for a co-worker’s surprise wedding shower and still hadn’t decided what I was going to make. Last week, she mentioned that she thought I should make pumpkin baked goods, and that night, I stumbled upon this recipe on Annie’s Eats. Perfect, and I even had some buttermilk left over from the scones that needed to be used.

I decided to go with a more traditional cream cheese icing. It may be “boring” but man is it delicious. I did like the idea of the butterscotch filling so I made some cooked butterscotch pudding and stirred in about ¾ cup pecans before spreading it onto the bottom layer of the cake.  This seemed a bit more within my time budget.

This cake got me sooo many compliments. Moist, but not too dense, it was a crowd pleaser all around. I am thinking I may use it for my friend’s wedding cake that I have to do next fall. The one little change I would make is to add a teaspoon of baking powder. I added ½ a teaspoon and still find it didn’t rise as much as I would have liked.  Final word: make this cake...just do it.  You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment