Cupcaitering

Monday, September 20, 2010

pear caramel scones

Before I became a powerless peon in a cubicle, I had an awesome job in a bike shop/coffee shop called Cyclelogik.  Right next door was a nic-nac bonanza/pastry shop called Heavens to Betsy. The owner’s husband, Nigel had trained in France as a pastry chef and for a short while had a pastry shop in the back of their store.  While he did, he made baked goods for the coffee shop.  The most popular item was his scones.  Delicious with just the right texture, they sold out everyday. After a little while at the pastry shop, he was offered a contract he couldn’t refuse in his other profession, cabinet-making.


When he left, he handed over his scone recipe to me.  Everyone was soo jealous that I had the recipe.  I made baked goods for the store for a little while, but eventually called it quits as I was finding it very time consuming with my studies and there was a lovely lady just waiting to fill in.


The scones made by Nigel were usually the same with cranberries, currants and dried blueberries – always a winning combo.  I liked to mix it up though and play with the flavours.  One of the most popular incarnations of the scones was pear-caramel.


After finding out that he could pay me to bake for him (because someone else did), my roommate’s boyfriend, decided he would like to place an order.  After much deliberation, he went with scones.  I hadn’t made them in a long time, and I had forgotten just how tasty they are. Sadly, I don’t think the pictures do them justice.


Nigel’s Scones
makes 1 dozen
3 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
3/4 c butter
1 c buttermilk
3/4 c extras (cranberry, white choc, dried cherries etc.)


1.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
2.  Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3.  Add your extras - I used small chunks of pear and cut chewy caramels into little bits.  (tip: once cut, I floured them before setting aside - otherwise they stick together.  I’ve seen pre-made Kraft caramel bits on American blogs, so you could use those too).
4.  Make a well in the middle and add the buttermilk.  I use my hands to mix it until it just comes together.  Don’t over mix!
5.  Shape into two small rounds and cut into 6 triangles.
6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until they are starting to get golden.

5 comments:

  1. Yay!! Some inspiration for the buttermilk in my fridge is just what I needed! Thanks for sharing!

    Christine Sandor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting combination - sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Christine! I hope you like them.

    Thanks to mylifeinscones - you definitely have some interesting scones over at your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so crazy about scones!This looks fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this with blueberries and chocolate chips! So great! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete