Cupcaitering

Monday, September 13, 2010

carrot cake for MJ

This is another recipe that I got from my mother.  It goes with my blog name!  This carrot cake recipe has been around for years and was always a hit.  It's definitely up there as one of my personal favourites.  I asked my Mom where she originally got it and she told me that an old colleague had brought it to an event, and she asked for the recipe.

Kate asked me to help make her Mom a cake for her 60th birthday party and I suggested that carrot would be a good option.  We decided on a Fall leaves theme (which I was totally ok with, love it!).  Kate helped out a ton with making the leaves and put them all on right before the cake was to be served.  I wasn't there but she told me it went over really well.  She did an awesome job laying out the leaves!

Carrot Cake

Ingredients
2 cups grated carrots, about 4 medium carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1.2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs – unbeaten
1 cup vegetable oil, corn or canola
1 can 8oz, or 250ml crushed pineapple (drained, and juice reserved)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugar.
2. Make a hole in the centre of the dry ingredients and add eggs and oil as well as 1/2 cup of pineapple juice, mix thoroughly.
3. Stir in grated carrots, walnuts, and pineapple.
4. Pour batter into greased and floured pan (12’ x 7.5”)
5. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out of the middle clean.

Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients
8 oz. package of cream cheese
1/2 cup soft butter
2 tsp vanilla
icing sugar (approximately 500g - I use less)

Directions
1. Beat together cream cheese and butter.
2. Add vanilla and icing sugar (a little bit at a time until it tastes good).

leaf drying on an icing tip




1 comment:

  1. When I turn 60 put spring chickens on the cake please. To think of the autumn years as starting at 60 is just wrong!

    ReplyDelete