Cupcaitering

Friday, September 17, 2010

biscotti bite

God I love pumpkin.  It’s funny though, it took me years to realize.  I blame this on pumpkin pie being the only “classic” pumpkin baked good.  I was never a big fan of pumpkin pie texture, it just didn’t appeal to me, and so, for many years I didn’t even THINK to try something else out with pumpkin.  A few years ago I made a pumpkin cake via the Betty Crocker website and finally realized what I was missing out on.  Since then, I have been dreaming up all the ways I can use pumpkin.

My friend recently asked me to make her some biscotti to keep at work for afternoon sweet cravings.  The idea for pumpkin biscotti came to me and after a quick google search, I realized I was totally unoriginal in my thought process.  Advantage: no effort in creating a recipe.  Look at me...always looking on the bright side of life. ha!

This is the first of many pumpkin offerings to come this Fall.  And believe me, I’ll be stretching it out right until Christmas baked goods season begins.  


Pumpkin Biscotti
(adapted from recipes found here and here)

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup mashed canned pumpkin
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter (melted)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl.  Add pecans and cranberries to mix.
2. In a small bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, vanilla and butter, stirring well until smooth.
3. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Mixture will be very crumbly at first but will gradually come together).  
4.  Divide dough into 2 portions and shape into two logs about 8”x 3”. Place logs on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 23 minutes; cool logs 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Cut each log diagonally into 1/2" slices using a serrated knife. Place slices back on cookie sheets. Bake for and additional 20-30 minutes flipping and rotating occasionally.
6. Cool and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love all things pumpkin, especially pie. I was drooling over the pie pumpkins today. I like your mug, too. I need it to create a pair w/ one I already have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently baking South African rusks as I type this! (they're like a breakfast biscotti). Hope they turn out as delish as these look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I must have passed the dislike of Pumpkin Pie texture on to you. Papa Chuck

    ReplyDelete