Cupcaitering

Saturday, June 12, 2010

crumpet attempt no. 1

Also known as: my biggest baking failure in recent history.

It's been a while since I posted.  Life has been busy and none of my baking has been very inspiring lately.  I also went on a vacation.  My roomate Kate and I went to Sasquatch! music festival and then spent four days in Seattle.  Sasquatch was such a good time.  There is no better way to see a ton of amazing bands in three days than a music festival, and this one was set in the most beautiful concert venue in the world, the gorge.  Seattle is also a very cool city and if given the opportunity, I would move there in a heartbeat. 

While in Seattle, we visited the Crumpet Shop, a small cafe near the Pike Place Market where you can get a crumpet with just about any topping you can think of.  I got a cream cheese, maple butter and walnut crumpet and Kate got a ricotta, honey and almond crumpet.  Delicious!  We both tried egg crumpets as well.  After coming back I decided I needed to learn how to make crumpets.  So, I went online, found a recipe, got all the ingredients and started.

From the second I put the dry ingredients into the wet, I knew this wasn't going to go well.    After watching the guy in the window making crumpets, I knew the batter had to be fairly liquidy but mine turned out very dough-y.  I forged ahead, not giving up until it was a guaranteed failure.  Well, it was a guaranteed failure in the end.  Kate insisted on cooking all the dough, but in the end, they were nearly inedible.  I say nearly, because Kate ate half of one (pretty much the whole one....).  Apparently, the Tayberry Jam that we got while in Seattle made it "not that bad".

I'll be trying again sometime this week or next weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I will figure these out!  Meanwhile, the gorge and our crumpets.

2 comments:

  1. those crumpets looks amazing. when you figure out how to make them, I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, my verification word: stabbler. someone who dabbles in stabbing?

    ReplyDelete