I inititally thought the pie was too tart, but my Dad seemed to like it. My parents hand beater broke as I was about to make the whipping cream, so I ended up making it with a hand blender. It wasn't perfect, but it tasted good, which is all that really matters in the end!
There are a variety of recipes on the internet and most are a variation on the following.
- 1 c Graham Cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 c melted butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons key lime zest
- heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is heating, zest and juice the limes. Add the remainder of the filling ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Let stand to thicken while you prepare the crust.
- Combine graham crackers, sugar, and butter in a food processor until well combined. Press into a pie plate.
- Pour filling into the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes, the center is should be set but still jiggle. Refrigerate before serving.
- Beat cream and sugar (to taste) until light and fluffy. Dollop on pie to serve.