Cupcaitering

Saturday, April 17, 2010

key lime pie

A few weeks ago I was home for Easter with my family.  For our big dinner, my Dad requested key lime pie for dessert.  Key lime pie is his favourite pie, and this was my first time attempting it.  It took sooo much time to juice all those tiny little key limes, but I finally managed to get enough juice.

I inititally thought the pie was too tart, but my Dad seemed to like it.  My parents hand beater broke as I was about to make the whipping cream, so I ended up making it with a hand blender.  It wasn't perfect, but it tasted good, which is all that really matters in the end!



There are a variety of recipes on the internet and most are a variation on the following.

Ingredients
Crust
  • 1 c Graham Cracker crumbs
  •  3 tbsp Sugar
  •  1/4 c melted butter
Filling
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons key lime zest
Topping
  • heavy cream
  • sugar
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. While the oven is heating, zest and juice the limes. Add the remainder of the filling ingredients and whisk until combined.
  3. Let stand to thicken while you prepare the crust.
  4. Combine graham crackers, sugar, and butter in a food processor until well combined. Press into a pie plate.
  5. Pour filling into the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes, the center is should be set but still jiggle. Refrigerate before serving.
  6. Beat cream and sugar (to taste) until light and fluffy.  Dollop on pie to serve.

1 comment:

  1. That was an incredible treat now what will you create for me next.

    ReplyDelete